Our policy is for every patient to be seen by Dr. Gaeke in the office prior to having any procedures done. An office visit is the best environment for reviewing your past medical and surgical history, performing a physical exam and obtaining detailed information about any current health problems you may be experiencing. You will be given as much time as you need to fully understand the risks and benefits of having an EGD and to ask any and all questions you may have about the procedure. You will also receive take home information about how to properly prepare for your EGD.
General guidelines are as follows:
The Day of Exam
- Nothing to eat after midnight on the day before your exam
- Nothing to drink for four hours before your exam time.
- Take your medications as usual — EXCEPT — no insulin or oral diabetic medicines.
- Take blood thinners (anti-coagulants)-like coumadin, lovenox or aspirin-as usual unless instructed otherwise.
- Arrive 60 minutes before your scheduled time.
- You will need a driver to take you home after the exam—please make arrangements to have a driver remain at the facility during your procedure. You will not be allowed to drive the rest of the day.
- You will not be allowed to return to work until the next day. Let us know if you need a written excuse.
REMEMBER: Starting times may vary. Bring a book. Be patient. We give everyone the best exam possible—we won’t hurry through your exam just to be on time for the next one!
The above instructions are also available in a printable PDF format below.